Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Disney: Vulgar, Blasphemous

Blasphemy in Narnia

What C.S. Lewis thought of filming "Narnia":

The Kilns,
Headington Quarry,
Oxford 18 Dec. 1959


Dear Sieveking

(Why do you ‘Dr’ me? Had we not dropped the honorifics?) As things worked out, I wasn’t free to hear a single instalment of our serial [The Magician’s Nephew] except the first. What I did hear, I approved. I shd. be glad for the series to be given abroad. But I am absolutely opposed – adamant isn’t in it! – to a TV version. Anthropomorphic animals, when taken out of narrative into actual visibility, always turn into buffoonery or nightmare. At least, with photography. Cartoons (if only Disney did not combine so much vulgarity with his genius!) wld. be another matter. A human, pantomime, Aslan wld. be to me blasphemy.

All the best,
yours

C. S. Lewis

[Letter to BBC producer Lance Sieveking (1896-1972), who has written at the top: ‘The Magician’s Nephew’ and, after the address, the phone number “62963”.]

From NTHPOSITION

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder what examples he would give of Disney's vulgarity. I know that the guy was purported to be a dirty old man, and that his cartoons are filled with butt-images, but I wonder what specifically he had in mind!

11:37 AM, December 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For instance, the little mermaid has an aroused priest, and male genitals on the cover.

5:14 AM, April 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home